I was completely ecstatic to check out Pizzeria Via Mercanti (@Via_Mercanti). I’ve heard great things about this pizza joint over the years. After a workday, my friends and I headed over to Kensington Market (which is probably one of my favourite areas to grab food!) to check out this pizza joint! I simply love pizza and especially with all the competition going in the city, its nice to see how each one differentiates. Did I mention they were voted as Toronto’s best pizza of 2014?
The restaurant is divided into 2 sections – a “L” shaped bar that sits around the pizza oven.
The other side sits tables for larger groups.
Bread to Start:
Potato Croquette ($4.00)
- Crispy breaded mashed potato with mozzarella, parmesan
- These were the best little crispy croquettes I’ve had for a while! The potato inside the croquette was very soft and buttery – oh so good
Close up shot:
Bocconcini di Pizza ($1.50 each) Minimum of 4
- Pizza Balls; fior di latte, ricotta, hot soppressata, proscuitto cotto
- These pizza balls were delicious but after a few more bites – it was a tad salty
Close up shot:
The menu offers 2 types of pizza: Pizze Rosse with tomato sauce and Pizza Bianche with olive oil
Pizze Rosse: Funghi ($14.00)
- fior di latte, mixed mushrooms
Pizze Bianche: Romolo’s Pizza ($15.00)
- half tomato sauce, half olive oil, fior di latte, prosciutto cotto, mixed mushrooms
- I decided to opt for the half tomato sauce and half olive oil base just so I can get a feel of both bases
- fresh flavours thought a little heavy to the stomach
- i personally though the pizza dough was a little salty for my liking so I ate mostly everything except for the crust
Pizze Rose: Margherita ($11.00)
- fior di latte, basil
Pizza Bianche: Pollo ($17.00)
- fior di latte, goat cheese, chicken, mushrooms, roasted red peppers
Everyone enjoyed their pizzas a little bit more than I did – perhaps I walked in with higher expectations. Don’t get me wrong – I liked everything but just didn’t expect the dough itself to be salty. The appetizers were really memorable and addicting. I wouldn’t mind revisiting Via Vercanti to give it another try since I’m always in the Kensington area 🙂 I always hear good things – perhaps I visited them on an off day?
Leave a comment
The potato croquette sounds absolutely delicious! But, I do wonder about the pizza dough being salty? maybe the ingredients seeped into the crust huh?