Parts & Labour (@partsnlabour) has been on my radar for quite some time now. And when I found out that they had participated in Summerlicious (@liciousTO) this year- I was quite excited! Parts & Labour – located in the far west end of downtown Toronto, in Parkdale, first opened back in 2010 and is overseen by Chef Matthew Matheso (@mattydeathbro).
After a very long street car ride… Mary & I finally arrived at the resto!
Parts & Labour is a long, narrow – workshop themed restaurant, communal tables all across the right side of the restaurant. Loving the lights hovering the bar …
Open Kitchen Concept at the back of the resto
Alaskan salmon crudo
- pickled carrot, black garlic oil, nasturtium
- This was the perfect appetizer! Salmon was fresh & subtly marinated
- Very tasty & light for a starter – loved the flavour & presentation!
- It was easy to eat – Salmon was cut up into bite sized pieces – Mary & I literally fell in love with this dish (lol)
- kale, carrots, beech mushroom, radish, demi glacé
- This was Mary’s & Vickie’s entree. I had a bit of Mary’s cornish hen and thought it was very tender and juicy. However, the beech mushrooms for her entree were under cooked..
- For Vickie’s entree, she had to send it back to the kitchen because she found hers extremely dry (approx 20 minutes wait)
- chili, garlic, mint, pistachio, pecorino (vegetarian)
- Andrew’s entree looks very simple & ordinary – but this dish instilled layers of different flavours!
Flat iron steak
- fries, salsa verde
- Ben & I ordered the flat iron steak. I think they switched up our entrees because I ended up having his rare flat iron & he had my medium rare (lol)
- Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the rare flat iron steak – it was wonderfully pink.
- The fries – were oh so delicious! very tasty – served piping hot. Extremely addicting!
- vanilla oil, blueberry
- served with chocolate cookies
- I always opt for Creme Brulees’ and this one was a disappointing.
- The custard was almost watery and not thick or somewhat firm (like it should be) – it was almost like eating yogurt =S
- The Chocolate cookie – I attempted to eat but couldn’t even have my first bite because it was hard and burnt. Mary compared the cookie to a piece of charcoal. =s
Overall, I was pleased with my experience at Parts & Labour. Yes, there were a few hiccups here & there throughout the course of our meals – almost forgot to mention the extremely long wait between each course…. But we all agreed that it was overall a good meal and I personally really enjoyed my selection of food for the most part. I really liked what was offered on their summerlicious menu and I do look forward to whats in store on their regular menu!
Price: $35 + tax + gratuity