Queen West’s latest Italian addition has definitely made quite the impression with its beautifully plated dishes and clean & modern look. While I am normally more focused on the food, I couldn’t help but notice the aesthetics at Bar Altura’s – which created a nice stand out & sophisticated look compared to its fellow neighbours on Queen West.
Several weeks ago, we were invited to Bar Altura (just east of Portland) to a 4 course dinner with wine & cocktail pairing. Our evening started off with some passed canapes followed by a welcome speech from the owner.
Zuppetta Fredda ai Frutti di Mare
- Citrus Marinated sea jewels, spicy watermelon gazpacho
- With not many restaurants offering your every-day chilled soup as an option, Bar Altura did a really good job highlighting the flavours of the citrus jewels & seafood. Served chilled, the soup is refreshing for a hot day, citrusy and comes with a good kick
- House made Cavatelli, Summer garden vegetable ragu, pecorino & fior di latte
- Slow roasted pork shoulder, cotechino, puffed rind, caponata, apricot & amarena agro dolce
- This was my favourite dish of the evening – the slow roasted pork shoulder was prepared very well. The pork shoulder was tender topped with sweet flavours from the apricot and different textures to the mouth with the caponata
Camomilla e Fragola
- Chamomille & bee pollen semifredo, extra virgin olive oil pound cake, strawberry consomme
- I’m not your typical sweet tooth gal but this dessert and the subtle flavours of the semifredo was divine. The texture of the semifredo is similiar to a panna cotta paired with the strawberry consomme was just so perfect.
Special thanks to Bar Altura for having us. Bar Altura is closed Mondays and opened Tuesdays to Sundays from 5pm – 12am with Friday & Sunday – 1am.
This post was done in collaboration with Bar Altura but gracelisamay.com remains unbiased in our content.