The Rogers Cup took place earlier last month from August 5th to 13th at the Aviva Centre. With Toronto hosting The Rogers Cup this year for its 125th anniversary, we were tres excited to take part of an evening with great eats and incredible game play. Our evening consisted of us taking front row seats for celebrity Chef David Rocco’s cooking demonstration, where he and Garbiñe Muguruza (2017 Wimbledon Champion) showed us how to make his infamous Cavatelli pasta. We then tasted our way through the revamped Rogers Cup menu including pulled pork poutine, brisket parfait, poke bowls, tacos, quinoa salad and epic topped foot long hot dogs. After our tummies were satisfied, we were ushered court side to take in a match between Venus Williams and Irina-Camelia Begu. Please enjoy the photos!
Beyond the new food options on site at the tournament, this year Rogers cup added another food-related feature that was very cool. Fans who didn’t want to miss a second of the action on Centre Court were able to order right to their seats via the special Rogers Cup app. The tournament was the first tennis tournament internationally to offer such service to its entire stadium, as a simplified menu of food and beverages were available to the entire Aviva Centre bowl via the in-seat service on the app
Cooking Demonstration with Chef David Rocco and Garbiñe Muguruza (2017 Wimbledon Champion).
Cavatelli in a Cherry Tomato and Pancetta Sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt in and add your pasta, Because it’s fresh, it will only take a few minutes to cook. It will rise to the top when it’s done
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add your garlic, onions and pancetta at the same time so they don’t burn. Once the onions are transclucent, add our cherry tomatoes and cook down until they’re nice and soft. Deglaze with white wine to get the flavour off the pan and into the sauce
- Add your cooked pasta, along with a 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water to the sauce and combine. Remove from heat.
- Top with rocket and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Rob Gentile’s Porchetta Pannino
- Succulent pork, crispy crackling, perfectly balanced with Rob’s apple mustarda and finished with a salsa verde, it’s a food lover’s delight
Great Canadian Grilled Cheese Triple Decker
- Grilled Cheese on one side with a stack of peameal bacon, cheese + mustard mayo on the other, with a 3 cheese crust on each side
- The sweetness of Aperol, the tartness of Prosecco and the effervescence Perrier, it’s the perfect Italian cocktail for summer
Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl
- Wakame (seaweed salad), cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and sriracha aioli
Rogers Cup || Twitter|| Instagram || Facebook
Grace, Food in the City Toronto
FOLLOW ME ON: TWITTER || INSTAGRAM || FACEBOOK || ZOMATO
This event was complimentary but Foodinthecitytoronto.com remains unbiased in our content.