Earlier this month, we visited Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada for a private tasting & cocktail party with Marine Stewardship Council (MSC). The event marks the official launch of Ocean Brands new line of sustainable seafood. During this afternoon tasting, we had the chance to taste the first bite of spring – a new, sustainable seafood launch for a new season.
The MSC is an international non-profit organization that works with scientists, fisheries, seafood producers and brands to promote sustainable fishing and and to safeguard the health of our seas. The event marks the official launch of Ocean Brands new line of sustainable seafood. The new “blue check” symbol on their products means they meet the most credible, scientific standard in the world.
The MSC is a certification and ecolabelling program that acts as a change agent for the fishing industry and a trust mark for consumers. The blue MSC label provides a simple, clear choice for certified sustainable seafood.
To achieve the MSC Fisheries Standard, fisheries must meet 28 performance indicators for sustainability across three principles:
- Sustainable fish stocks
- Minimizing environmental impacts
- Effective management
Seafood with the blue MSC Label can be found at retailers and restaurants across Canada
- Fresh: Loblaw Stores, Whole Foods
- Frozen and Canned: Major retailers across the country (Sobeys, Costco, Walmart, IKEA and others)
- Restaurants: McDonalds locations across Canada, 3 Brit & Chips locations in Montreal
Ocean Brands, in partnership with the MSC, is proud to introduce new certified sustainable seafood options for Canadians who want to make healthy, ocean friendly choices. Seafood lovers can trust that Gold Seal and Ocean’s products with the blue MSC label meet the highest global standards for sustainability. They come from fisheries that are MSC certified as sustainable and well managed, and can be traced back to their source.
- Ocean’s Pole & Line Chunk Light and Flaked Light Tuna
- Ocean’s Sockeye Salmon
- Gold Seal Sockeye Salmon
Spring Tuna Salad
- Ocean’s Pole & Line Chunk Light Tuna
- Heirloom Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Fennel, Kalamata Olives, Feta, Mint, Citrus Vinaigrette
Happy Tuna Bowl
- Ocean’s Pole & Line Flaked Light Tuna
- Tri-colour Quinoa, Sweet peals, Celery, Red Pepper, Avocado, Lime, Cilantro, Pickled Pears
Protein Power Salmon Kofta
- Gold Seal Sockeye Salmon – Skinless Boneless
- Lentils, Oatmeal, Cottage Cheese, Dates, Chia Seeds, Lemon, Chipotle Yogurt
Marine Stewardship Council|| Twitter || Instagram || Facebook
This meal was complimentary but Foodinthecitytoronto.com remains unbiased in our content.