I can’t say that I’ve tried EVERY taco place in Toronto but I had some pretty darn good tacos here at SEVEN LIVES (@SevenLivesTO) 2 weeks ago. To be honest, I’ve made several attempts to visit SEVEN LIVES before, but every time this place was either closed or extremely packed (line up outside the door) type of deal.
It was a week night around 6PM when a few of us headed over to Kensington Market to attempt to visit the place. Thankfully, it was only busy but not incredibly packed.
Menu is hung behind the counter on the chalkboard. We all tried to order something different just a little variety. Depending on the type of taco you order, they range from $4-$5 per taco.
Open kitchen area so you watch them make it fresh!
Closer shot of the menu:
My friend is vegetarian so she opted for the only thing that was available to her:
MUSHROOM AND CACTUS ($4.00)
- with grilled cheese
I was the pig of the group and ordered 3 tacos in one shot. Please note that SEVEN LIVES do not cheap out on ingredients and each taco was extremely packed with goodies. I was probably full halfway through the second taco but couldn’t resist ordering the 3 tacos that really caught my eye.
BAJA FISH ($5.00)
- Battered & Deep fried Mahi Mahi with their house sauce. (Contains Gluten)
- Each of the tacos comes with 2 soft shells – the combinations of the flavours from the deep fried mahi mahi to their house sauce wow the palate from the very first bite.
- The battered mahi mahi was deep fried perfectly. Perfect crispiness that didn’t take away any flavours of the fish.
- Although the baja fish was a little messy to eat – this taco was uber good and I highly recommend for any fish lovers out there!
- Slow Cooked Pork
- The flavours of the carnitas taco was quite delectable. Slathered with lots of green peppers, salsa, and cilantro – I quite enjoyed my first bite to the last. However, I would have preferred if the slow cooked pork to be slightly less dry.
- Smoked Tuna, Shrimp and Cheese
- This was another favourite of the evening – tuna and shrimp were marinated and cooked to perfection.
- The sauce was sweet plus the presence of the veggie component provided a backdrop of crunchy freshness.
I’m really hitting myself for taking so long to give SEVEN LIVES a visit. My friends and I all walked out pretty darn satisfied with our choices. I’m already thinking about ordering 2 BAJA fish tacos for myself next time. I would suggest to come before peak dinner hours or else it’ll get extremely packed. We arrived right before 6PM and barely found a place to stand. But there’s probably a reason why this place is packed all the time right? =)