Firkin Pubs (@firkinpubs) has officially grown into Canada’s largest chain of English pub with 32 locations across the country. Recently, Firkin pubs re-branded its pubs to reflect Cool Britannia décor, entertainment, food and drink. Therefore, offering new menu items, cocktails, wine & craft beer with a few number of new locations.
Luckily enough for me, I won a $125 Gift Card to Firkin Pubs from Foodjunkiechronicles.net to check out one of their 4 newest locations. We ended up at The Quail Location in Rosedale.
Frankly speaking, some of the reviews of Firkin’s older locations were not so ideal in many aspects. Due to the fact that the Quail Location is still fairly new, it was very clean & bright. Service was quick, our server(s) were attentive and helpful. I honestly didn’t have any complaints…
The new décor, by design team Mackay Wong, brings a living room atmosphere to Firkinpubs, with select locations featuring a social mingling area infused with traditional British artefacts.
Each Firkin location is Better Beer-certified to ensure it always serves the perfect pint. They offer splashy new cocktails that I didn’t get to try. Instead, I opted for some Steam-Whistle.
Caesar Salad ($6.00)
- Romaine hearts, Parmesan Cheese, croutons & bacon bits
- The salad came in a cute little bowl – lightly dressed
Crispy Fish Tacos
- Flash fried tempura snapper, flour tortillas, lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole & sour cream
- If only the crispy fish tacos taste as good as it looked! The battered for the fish was thick and somewhat tasteless :s
Old Fashioned Burger
- Plain & Simple
- Their fresh, never frozen burgers are made from 100% ground chuck & come with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle & burger sauce. Dished-up with chips (Britain’s best contributions to world cuisine!) & onion rings.
Wings & Chips (Honey Garlic)
- 1lb of Firkin’s famous wings with their dipping sauce
Fish & Chips
- Beer battered haddock wit chips & tartar sauce
- The batter was like the fish taco was way too thick. The fish was somewhat tasteless so I smothered mine with tartar sauce
The menu & price point at Firkin does not deviate too much from your average pub. I must say that with their deep fried foods that I’ve ordered such as their fish & chips and their fish tacos, the batter is always too thick for me. I’m not a often pub-goer but I want to mention that although pubs are mainly focused on beers & drinks, I tend to associate or have a mindset that “pub foods” are average-tasting while being a little sloppy when being served. However, I must say I am rather impressed with the way The Quail puts their dishes together. With that being said, I’m not sure if their other locations are similiar to The Quail (the reviews differ) but I particularly adore The Quail because it gives off a clean and great vibe to sit back with a beer and watch a game or two!