Almost a month ago, I ventured off to downtown Toronto after a busy work day to indulge in some good eats at The Gabardine (@thegabardine). Located in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the Financial District, The Gabardine serves great comfort food for both lunch and dinner. This resto has been “in the queue” for me for quite some time due to all the hype about their infamous mac and cheese, so it was a pretty obvious choice for me to check this place out…
The atmosphere here was really laid back – servers were all friendly and dressed very casually. Candles were placed on every table and lots of framed art work were decorated around the restaurant. Before I visited The Gabardine, I read quite a few reviews that commented on the “New England style decor” the restaurant gives – I definitely agree.
The restaurant is shaped like a “L” – we sat in the corner so it was pretty easy for me to snap some photos!
I usually order an alcoholic beverage whenever I dine out, but I decided to opt for a:
Classic Hot Chocolate
- The hot chocolate tasted bitter sweet and tasty
- Had a lovely dark chocolate flavour
Mac and Cheese ($14) / with ham ($16)
- mac and cheese served with breadcrumb crust – we opted for an addition of ham!
- It was served piping hot on a “lasagna” type dish
- Loved the baked layer of crusty cheese on top
- The dish overall was very filling but a bit too heavy for me
Pan Seared Scallops ($23) *special*
- Pan-seared scallops served on a puree cauliflower
- This dish was a special of the night highly recommended by our server
- The scallops served were incredibly large – but sadly the dish served was not hot or warm rather it was served somewhat cold
The Gabardine is worth a visit if you’re ever craving some comfort foods! The mac and cheese is a must try. I’ve come to realize that “comfort food” isn’t really my thing. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed my overall experience here but I just prefer other types of cuisines over “comfort food”. This is just my personal preference – Anyways, I highly recommend the hearty mac and cheese! =D