For a really long time, I have read & heard SO many good things about Khao San Road (@khaosanroadTO) and have no idea why it took me this long to visit. And so I FINALLY trekked made my way downtown a few weeks ago for an awesome dinner with my friend. Usually, when I hear good reviews about a resto, I walk in with really high hopes and expectations and come out some what disappointed. But with Khao San Road, I came out really giddy (like a little girl) and was already mentally planning my second visit =D
The vibe and atmosphere is very different than your typical Thai restaurant. Very lively and almost like a modern wine bar. The restaurant has 3 dining sections – tables on the left, bar on the right and communal tables on the left when you first walk in that sits larger groups!
Arriving around 8pm on a Thursday night, we come to found out that the place was jam packed with a few groups waiting at the door. Didn’t make reservations (bad on my part) – so we waited about 10 minutes before being seated. We were asked if we wanted to sit at the dining area or the bar – I opted for the bar because I needed more space for my camera and my huge purse etc. (lol)
Chai Nom Yen ($4.50)
- An infusion of Thai spices and black tea mixed with condensed milk and served over crushed
iced, also known as Thai iced tea.
- Really refreshing and tasty – it’s almost like a Hong Kong style Milk tea but more sweeter
- At first we only ordered 1, not realizing HOW GOOD this drink was- and then ordered more because we just couldn’t get enough of it =P
Snapped more photos while waiting for our food
Street Style Pad Thai ($13)
- Choice of beef or chicken / veggies – $13, shrimp – $15
- I ordered Chicken
- I’m not sure what makes it a “street style” pad thai – but it is without a doubt one of the best pad thai’s I have ever had
- Very flavourful, and saucy, sweet but not too heavy or filling
Here’s a closer shot…
Khao Soi w/ Chicken or Beef ($13)
- Egg noodles in a coconut milk enriched curry, garnished with crispy noodles, green onion
- I opted for the beef because our very friendly waitress highly recommended it =]
- I ordered a mild Khao Soi because I can’t handle that much “spiciness” for the life of me =.=’
- The braised beef was very tender, the curry sauce was very rich and thick – a bit too spicy for me but very palatable
Khao San Road definitely exceeded my expectations by serving quality and authentic Thai food. Our waitress was very friendly and warm, the foods & drink served were amazing and affordable – loved the vibe of the resto – honestly my whole experience here was amazing. Thanks for a memorable dinner and looking forward to my next visit =]
edit: Khao San Road no longer accepts reservations.